Split Pea and Potato Barley Soup Recipe
With the new year starting, we know some of our diners will have started resolutions to make more mindful meal choices when dining out. We now offer an interactive nutrition guide that allows you to explore the Souplantation and Sweet Tomatoes menu based on your nutritional preferences and requirements. You can filter menu items by calorie count, protein content, allergens, dietary preferences, and more.
We also have a recipe that will allow you to make healthy choices when you cook at home too. This Split Pea and Potato Barley Soup recipe is categorized as Low-Fat (contains 3 grams of fat or less per serving) and Vegetarian (contains dairy or eggs, but no meat or meat products).
Split Pea and Potato Barley Soup
- 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 20 cups
|Canola oil||1/4 cup|
|Chopped yellow onion (¼” pieces)||2 1/2 cups|
|Chopped carrots (¼” pieces)||2 cups|
|Chopped celery (1/4″ pieces)||1 1/2 cups|
|Minced garlic||1 tbsp|
|dried green split peas||2 1/2 cups|
|Diced potatoes||6 1/2 cups|
|Dried basil||3/4 tsp|
|Dried thyme||1/2 tsp|
|Black pepper||3/4 tsp|
|Bay leaves||2 leaves|
|Vegetable base||2 tbsp|
|Kosher salt||1 1/4 tsp|
|Chopped fresh parsley||3 tbsp|
- Place oil, chopped onions, chopped carrots, and chopped celery into a pot. Sauté vegetables until soft.
- Add minced garlic to vegetables and stir together to combine. Sauté briefly until garlic is fragrant.
- Add water, dried split peas, diced potatoes, barley, dried basil, thyme, black pepper, bay leaves, vegetable base and salt.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 1 hour or until split peas and barley are soft and fully cooked.
- Turn off heat and stir in chopped fresh parsley.
- Remove bay leaves and serve.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
The soup develops more flavor after a day or two of sitting. Leftover soup keeps for a week.
Per 1-cup serving: 160 calories; 2 grams fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans-fat; 800 milligrams of sodium; 35 grams carbohydrates; 10 grams fiber; 4 grams sugar; 9 grams protein*
*Nutrition information may differ based on the specific ingredients/brands used