Featured Superfood: Blueberries
The next berry on the menu for Berry Berry June is one of our favorites – the blueberry! The star of our NEW Berry Berry Tossed Salad with Goat Cheese and Almonds, available from June 1st until the 28th, this small fruit packs a big nutritional punch.
Blueberries are one of the few fruits that are native to America and come in approximately 30 different species. The berries’ dark blue tint indicates that they are bursting with nutrients and antioxidants, which makes them a superfood. In fact, the blueberry has the highest antioxidant capacity of all fresh fruit! The antioxidants in blueberries have been linked to:
- Helping prevent deadly diseases such as cancer and heart disease
- Reducing oxidative stress
- Improving the look of skin and hair
Full of vitamin C, E, K and manganese, these power-packed berries are often said to be a fountain of youth, slowing down age-related problems such as the onset of Alzheimer’s Disease, diminishing eyesight and development of wrinkles while improving coordination and balance! To experience the full benefits of blueberries, nutritionists recommend eating one to two cups of a day.
What else is there to know about this super food?
- The white powder-like substance found on a blueberry is called “bloom” and it is an indication that the berry is ripe
- Blueberries were once used to make paints and dyes
- Blueberries are one of the only foods that are naturally blue
- America’s favorite muffin is the blueberry muffin – and one of our staple menu items!