Seasonal Superfoods for Fall
The upcoming holiday season and a crisp chill in the air are unmistakable reminders of the changing season. Can you believe it is already November? Not only are we excited to deck the halls and roast chestnuts, our taste buds are dancing for the new superfoods in season this fall. Both sweet and savory, here are a few of our favorite fresh, nutrient-packed foods available now:
- Cranberries. Bursting with vitamin C and antioxidants, these tangy treats can aid the immune system and could help combat that nasty cold.
- Oranges. Another source of vitamin C, one orange can provide over 100% of the recommended daily value of the vitamin.
- Squashes (like Acorn, Butternut, Pumpkin and Spaghetti Squash). Winter squashes are a good source of alpha and beta-carotene that help to build strong bones and protect your body’s cells.
- Peas. These tiny fruits pack a protein punch and will help keep you feeling full and satisfied.
- Yams. This in-season vegetable contains potassium and vitamin B6, both of which help to reduce stress on the cardiovascular system.
Are you craving these seasonal superfoods, yet? We’ve incorporated the fresh produce of the fall season into our November menu, as listed below, so you can feel good about dining out at Souplantation/Sweet Tomatoes.
- Our Golden Yam Bisque (available 11/17-11/28) contains a delicious combination of fresh onions, garlic and yams!
- We’ve combined butternut squash and creamy sweet tomatoes in our Sweet Tomato Basil Soup with Tomato Basil Croutons. Available 11/1 – 11/14, you have to be sure to try a bowl!
- A traditional cold-weather staple, with pureed peas and chunks of ham, our Split Pea with Ham Soup is a crowd favorite.
- Want to indulge your sweet tooth? Our Spiced Pumpkin & Cranberry Muffins not only feature the season’s favorite flavor – pumpkin – we’ve also mixed in some tart cranberries to sweeten the deal.
Since the holiday season is full of crazy schedules, we understand you may not be able to stop by your local Souplantation/Sweet Tomatoes every night to enjoy these dishes. To keep your family continuing their healthy-habits, we have thought of some easy-prep superfood snacks that you can put in your very own snack-station. By having a few pre-made snacks ready for your family to grab in a designated snack-station, getting your family to eat nutritiously during the holidays will be stress-free and convenient. A few of our favorite snacks to enjoy include:
- A mix of dried cranberries and walnuts
- Grape and orange slice butterflies
- Baked yam chips
- Roasted butternut squash seeds
What healthy snacks does your family enjoy?