Heart Friendly Foods That Actually Taste Good
Show your ticker a little love – February is American Heart Month! Aiding in the healthy function of your heart can actually be a delicious process that starts at the salad bar. We hope that knowing which superfoods are heart-friendly will inspire you and your family to load up on your favorites during your next Souplantation/Sweet Tomatoes visit, or just the next trip to the grocery store.
The following food list is filled with veggies and fruits that just may help to improve your heart’s function – and no doubt make your plate a little more colorful.
Eat Your Heart Out Checklist:
- The magnesium and fiber found in spinach may increase healthy cholesterol and lower blood pressure. Looks like Popeye was on to something!
☑ Chickpeas, Black Beans & Kidney Beans
- All of these legumes are high in cholesterol-lowering fiber and vitamin B-6 which helps lower homocysteine, which reduces the risk of heart disease. Chili, anyone?
☑ Sweet Potatoes
- Fiber, vitamin B-6 and potassium all found in sweet potatoes are believed to decrease blood pressure. We loved them baked!
- Carotenoids found in carrots are antioxidants that help to protect the heart.
- Magnesium, calcium and fiber found in broccoli help to lower blood pressure. You have to try our Broccoli Madness (it’s Gluten Free)!
- Beta and alpha-carotene, carotenoids, potassium and fiber are all found in tomatoes and all work to improve the circulatory system’s function. We hate to play favorites, but tomatoes have a special place in our hearts – and name 😉
- Allicin found in cauliflower has been shown to lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart attacks.
- The potassium found in raisins may help to ward off hypertension. Plus, they make an easy snack!
- Along with potassium which helps lower blood pressure, oranges contain pectin which may help reduce proteins that create scarring on heart tissue.
So, no matter if you’re looking to boost your meal’s nutritional factor a bit, or just want to mix in a few new ingredients in your typical family dinner, this list is the perfect place to start (just think – half of your grocery list is planned for you)! What superfoods do you <3? Tell us below!